Mormons are excoriated in popular culture (see: “The Simpsons”) for the way their church was created by someone who was kind of a con man. And the translation of the Book of Mormon was accomplished with a hat. And the Golden Tablets have been lost. Hmmm. The stone tablets of the Ten Commandments were misplaced, too. And a burning bush talking? Really? It comes down to faith, as it should. Not some sort of ignorant bigotry.
Many of the academics consider themselves liberal, socially responsible, and broad-minded individuals, the repository of the best in America. They’re proud of themselves for voting for Barack Obama (a bit too smug maybe?). They would splutter and bluster and be generally outraged to be considered prejudiced. None would consider saying anything similar about African-Americans, Muslims, Jews, Native Americans … well, you get the idea. But anti-Mormonism is part of the same continuum that contains discrimination against any group. Why, then, is it allowable publicly express bias against Mormons?
—Thomas C. Terry, from his insightful commentary on anti-Mormon bigotry within academia for Inside Higher Ed
Photo of LDS Temple in Rexburg, Idaho during a a lightning story by Doug Garding via Flickr’s Creative Commons license.
~Trent Gilliss, senior editor
last time i checked african american isnt a religion. nor is native american. and yes, i do also criticize catholics, muslims, jews, scientologists, etc. i criticize all stripes of fundamentalism. there are crazy things in all religions, sure, and things that are worth laughing at. i suppose things that are crazy and old can more easily be seen as parable or metaphor, whereas things that are crazy and new are more readily just called ridiculous, but on the other hand, magic underwear.
- apmgincommunity reblogged this from beingblog
- gabrielvandyke likes this
- keeganh likes this
- lachaim likes this
- gandalf-the-greg likes this
- rynnicol reblogged this from journalofajournalist
- orrandor reblogged this from beingblog
- jlcsantos likes this
- dasmotorbike reblogged this from journalofajournalist
- believeinmyths likes this
- yankintheuk likes this
- thepoetryofthesingularity reblogged this from beingblog
- alarbonk reblogged this from journalofajournalist
- brandofsacrifice likes this
- journalofajournalist reblogged this from beingblog
- jeblaguejeblog likes this
- baddmass likes this
- aliciagolightly likes this
- kenjamink reblogged this from beingblog
- qbnscholar likes this
- blastmyheart reblogged this from beingblog
- beingblog posted this